Anterior Hip Replacement, Knee Replacement, Partial Knee Replacement, Computer-Assisted Joint Replacement, Robotic-Assisted Joint Replacement, Same-Day Hip and Knee Replacement, Hip Arthroscopy, Knee Arthroscopy, Trauma/Fracture care
Dr. Matthew Werger is a board-certified Orthopedic Surgeon and the newest addition to ProSports Orthopedics. He specializes in hip and knee related conditions, with particular interest in primary and revision procedures. He is fellowship-trained in hip and knee reconstruction, with additional specialty training in robotic and computer-assisted joint replacement surgery. He specializes in anterior hip replacement and muscle-sparing knee replacement to return patients more quickly back to their active lives.
After completing residency in 2012, Dr. Werger joined the Air Force as an Orthopedic Surgeon and served overseas in South Korea and Germany. He has been recognized at every stage of his career for leadership and commitment to patient care and education. He currently holds an academic appointment with the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences. Dr. Werger has authored numerous orthopedic articles in leading journals, and he lectures both locally and internationally. He is actively involved in research to improve patient care and outcomes.
Dr. Werger practices at Mount Auburn Hospital, New England Baptist Hospital, and Boston Outpatient Surgery Center. He performs inpatient and same-day joint replacement. He has extensive experience in orthopedic trauma surgery, hip and knee arthroscopy, and primary/revision joint replacement.
Mount Auburn Hospital,
New England Baptist Hospital
Boston Outpatient Surgery Center.
2007 M.D. Georgetown University School of Medicine, Washington, DC
2003 B.S. University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, IN
Post Doctoral Training:
2016-2017 Fellowship: Adult Reconstruction Hip/Knee, Florida Orthopaedic Institute, Tampa, FL
2008-2012 Residency-Orthopedic Surgery Rutgers-Robert Wood Johnson, New Brunswick, NJ
2007-2008 Internship-Surgery Rutgers-Robert Wood Johnson, New Brunswick, NJ
Licensure and Certification:
2017 Fellow, American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
2016 Board Certified, American Board of Orthopedic Surgeons
Massachusetts Medical License – #269713
New Hampshire Medical License – #18152
Awards and Honors
2016 Army Commendation Medal for Meritorious Service
2013 Air Force Commendation Medal for Meritorious Service
2012 American Orthopaedic Association Emerging Leader Award
2012 Resident of the Year; Rutgers-Robert Wood Johnson Orthopedic Surgery
2010 Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma Best Teaching Resident Award; Rutgers-Robert Wood Johnson
2003-2007 Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship
Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, Adjunct Assistant Professor; Bethesda, MD
Professional Societies and Committees:
American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS)
American Academy of Hip and Knee Surgeons (AAHKS)
Arthroplasty Today, Journal Reviewer
Orthopedic Knowledge Update Examination Review Committee
AAOS Panel – The Clinical Practice Guidelines on Surgical Management of Osteoarthritis of the Knee
- Werger M. Orthopedic Lessons Learned Iraq and Afghanistan Conflicts. 23rd Multinational Military Medical Engagement; Budapest, Hungary – September 2015.
- Werger M, Sagebien C. Cadaveric and Computed Tomographic Anatomy of the Distal Femoral Articular Capsule. Podium Presentation at Eastern Orthopedic Association Annual Meeting; Bolton Landing, NY – June 2012.
- Tisosky A, Werger M, Bowe JA, McPartland T. The Factors Influencing the Refracture of Pediatric Forearms. Poster presentation at POSNA Annual Meeting; Montreal, Canada – May 2011.
- Werger M, McPartland T. When Blount’s correction goes bad. New Jersey Orthopaedic Society Meeting; Somerset, NJ – November 2010.
- Werger M, Blecher H. Thoracic compression fracture – a complication. New Jersey Orthopaedic Society Meeting; Somerset, NJ – October 2009.
- Haidukewych G, Liporace F, Petrie J, Bernasek T, Werger M. American Academy for Orthopaedic Surgeons Instructional Course Lectures: Practical Surgical Techniques for Revision Total Hip Arthroplasty. ICL 67. Publication early 2018.
- Leary JT, Werger MM, Broach W, Shaw LN, Santoni BG, Bernasek TL, Lyons ST. Complete Eradication of Biofilm from Orthopaedic Materials. J Arthroplasty 2017; epub: Mar 28.
- Tisosky A, Werger M, Bowe JA, McPartland T. The Factors Influencing the Refracture of Pediatric Forearms. JPO 2015; 35:677-81.
- Leary J, Werger M, Sagebien C. A Novel Technique for Percutaneous Removal of a Suprapatellar Intramedullary Nail. Am J Orthop 2013; 42:136-40.
- Carolan G, Chin K, Werger M. Biology of Bone Graft. In Garino J, Beredjiklian P (eds): Core Knowledge in Orthopaedics: Adult Reconstruction and Arthroplasty. Philadelphia, Mosby 2007